I’ve for a very long time been utilizing the Hitech Format 100m slide-in filter system. It has (principally) served me nicely. Nevertheless it’s massive and ponderous, and infrequently the filters slip in case you don’t match them accurately. So I’ve been curious concerning the numerous magnetic filter methods available on the market. I used to be lately launched to the OKKO model and thought they sounded nice. So after I was despatched a package to evaluation, I used to be thrilled.
Word: I used to be despatched the OKKO Magnetic filter package to evaluation after which returned it, however my views and opinions are completely my very own.
Are you searching for pace, ease of use and a full system for every type of pictures? The Okko Professional Magnetic Digicam Filters Vary provides the complete answer. All are engineered with German optical glass and backed with their “break it, we substitute it” lifetime guarantee. Sound spectacular, proper?
OKKO Magnetic Filter Equipment — What’s within the package?
- All of it begins with both the magnetic screw-on adapter or you may go along with the screw-on UV filter. I requested for a 67mm as that matches my 28-75mm, 70-300mm lenses. I’d want two kits for my wide-angle as that’s 72mm. Or you may go massive after which use adapter rings to scale down?
- Then there are the precise magnetic filters. I used to be despatched a CPL, ND6, and ND10
- Then there may be lens cap, which is a superb concept as the usual lens cap doesn’t match as snugly with the adapter ring on.
- The adapter rings and magnetic filters are available a variety of sizes from 49mm – 82mm
- The complete package I acquired in 67mm diameter price roughly AUD$605.00. Not low cost but in addition not overly costly in comparison with different manufacturers available on the market.
I have to admit at first I believed the UV filter connected to the magnetic adapter ring, but it surely doesn’t. You should use both the UV adapter ring or the essential adapter ring. As I usually don’t use a UV filter I might most likely keep on with the essential adapter and avoid wasting cash.
OKKO Magnetic Filter Equipment — The Adapter Ring
The Adapter ring (and the UV Filter) each match snugly and even with my stiff fingers fairly simpler to screw on and off. However as soon as connected can merely stay there. The magnetic filters match snugly and remained in place even in excessive wind and a delicate shake. The fundamental filter has no glass so there isn’t any distinction within the photographs. I did a comparability between the UV filter and none. I did discover the UV filter was barely darker and there was a slight blue solid.
- The Okko Adapter and UV Adapter had been straightforward to put in and uninstall
- As soon as put in they will keep and also you merely change out the filter you require. Really easy
- They’re light-weight and appear to be very nicely made.
- As soon as connected the filters don’t come off, till you are taking them off
- Break it, they substitute it, lifetime guarantee
- One of many greatest cons I’ve at all times felt with the round filters is you want a unique dimension for every lens diameter. Or adapter rings for the adapter rings.
- Equipment didn’t include a multiple-purpose carry case. Every filter and adapter had its personal case. It’s slightly cumbersome to hold all of them on a day journey. However you’ll be able to stack them collectively.
- I discovered the lens cap slightly too straightforward to get knocked off in baggage and such
- When doubling up filters (ie ND6 and ND10) I discovered a slight vignetting on the outer corners
OKKO Magnetic Filter Equipment — The CPL filter
I’ve used a variable CPL filter for years, my greatest annoyance is it may be tough to get on and off and the variable part typically knocks the filter unfastened. I’ve dropped and cracked just a few this fashion. So I used to be actually wanting ahead to attempting the OKKO magnetic CPL. It doesn’t look like variable at first look, but it surely IS – twist and look via the viewfinder to note the outcomes. It did match nicely and didn’t come unfastened in any respect. It was straightforward to tackle and off after I wished them to. Simply capturing within the yard it didn’t appear to make any distinction to the pictures, aside from barely darker. No Coloration solid, however no noticeable drop in haze or glare both. There’s 1-stop discount in mild and 50% discount in reflection based on their advertising and marketing.
It was after I actually put the OKKO CPL to the take a look at on the seashore that I seen what it might do. Within the photographs under there’s a slight distinction between no CPL and CPL at 50%, however whenever you twist or flip the filter to attain 100% there’s a marked distinction within the reflections within the rock pool. It additionally warms the pictures up properly. The under photographs are unedited aside from cropping.
OKKO Magnetic Filter Equipment — ND 6 Magnetic Filter
Impartial Density filters have just a few numerous makes use of, considered one of which is to chop down glare and to darken your picture in brilliant daylight so you’ll be able to take longer exposures. The OKKO ND 6 magnetic filter is a 6-stop drop because the identify suggests. The web site additionally claims no shade solid, however I did discover a distinct blue solid to the ND6 within the yard. That may very well be as a result of drop in ISO from 100 to 800? I don’t thoughts a blue solid. The slim design additionally prevents vignetting.
Another excuse I like a Impartial Density filter is for lighting portray with still-life. Through the use of the ND6 filter I might simply take a 20-30 second publicity at f9 within the studio and through the use of a torch I might paint in my highlights. The CPL helps slightly however not sufficient. Taking an extended publicity offers the attractive painterly impact I search for in my Mild Portray.
In fact, some of the apparent makes use of for an ND filter is lengthy exposures, making waves and waterfalls look easy and silky. Such a terrific impact on water and wispy clouds too.
OKKO Magnetic Filter Equipment — ND 10 Magnetic Filter
Then there’s a step as much as the OKKO ND 10 filter. Extra of the identical however is darker and permits for for much longer exposures, as seen within the galleries above.
Within the picture above, I used to be in a position to seize an 8-second publicity at f/22 on a brilliant sunny day. This was attainable on a tripod to seize a few of the movement of the waves crashing on the rocks under. Being magnetic and such a slim design you’ll be able to even double them up. The under picture was the ND 6 and ND 10 collectively and a 30-second publicity. I did nonetheless discover a darkish vignette on the outer edges doing this.
Total I discovered the OKKO filters actually nice to make use of on all my 67mm lenses. I would want one other package to make use of on my 72mm wide-angle. I discovered them straightforward to tackle and off and gave nice outcomes with minimal fuss. For those who had been simply beginning out and solely had one lens, or certainly just one lens diameter, these filters can be the proper package to your digicam bag.